Red Lentil & Squash Dhal
• 1 onion finely chopped or 1 tbsp onion powder
• 2 garlic cloves finely chopped or 2/8 garlic powder
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground turmeric
• ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
• 400g (roughly half a) butternut squash peeled and cut into 2cm
• 400g (can) chopped tomatoes
• 1.2l vegetable stock
• 300g red lentil
• Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
• White basmati or brown long grain rice to serve
1. Add the oil and the onion to a large saucepan and soften for 5 mins. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further 1 min, then stir in the spices and butternut squash.
2. Add the tomatoes and stock and season well. Bring to the boil,
then gently simmer for about 10 mins. Add the lentils and simmer for another 20 mins until the lentils and squash are tender.
3. Stir in the coriander and serve with rice and / or warm naan bread.